Pages

Sunday 9 April 2017

Meditation For Dummies

No, I don't think you (or anyone) are dummies. But I found this title appropriate because most people think meditation is a lot more complicated than what it is.

Let me ask you something. How do you (generally speaking) meditate? What comes to your mind? Maybe you feel you need to get a pillow or blanket, sit down with your legs in full lotus, back straight, eyes closed. Maybe you think you need candles, dim lighting, music, chants and prayers. And there is a good chance that most people think they must clear their mind of all thoughts. 

Sure, these things can be done during meditation. I'm sure many people do. But they are not a requirement. Meditation is much simpler than what you may think. And that, in itself, is what makes meditation, well, meditation. Simplicity is key. 

Can you breathe? Yes. Then you can meditate. 

But isn't meditation suppose to be about clearing your mind of all thoughts? That is a goal of meditation, yes. But if you go into meditation with the expectation that you are not going to think, you are likely to get frustrated and give up.

I find this comparison helps people understand a little better. Let's say someone asks you to do 3 pull ups. If you do not work out and you have poor upper body strength, you are probably unable to this. But that does not mean the potential isn't there. If you started going to the gym and practiced, you will be able to do 3 pull ups in no time. Your brain works in a similar way. You need to "exercise" your brain in order to obtain a clear, conscious state of mind. 

Also, what happens when I tell you to NOT think of a pink elephant. Odds are, you thought of a pink elephant. I can promise you that the harder you try to suppress a thought, the more that thought is going to push back into your mind. That's my experience, anyways.

I'm going to share with you some tips that can help you with your meditation practice.

1. Get comfy

Whatever this means to you. I usually lie down. I find that if I sit up, I squirm to try to get comfy. Some people prefer sitting in chairs. Try different positions to see what works best for you.

2. Show gratitude

It doesn't matter to who or for what. It could be for the person who held open the door while you were carrying a bag of groceries. It could be for the glass of water you're drinking. I find that showing gratitude helps to center me and it brings me to the present moment. 

3. Let go expectations

You may have heard stories of people's experiences during and after meditation. If you go into meditation hoping and anticipating that something will happen, not only will it probably not happen but it will take you from the present moment. This is the opposite of what meditation is. Let go of any expectations. Just be in the moment and go with the flow.

4. Find something to focus on

This could be your breath, music, your body, a prayer or mantra. Anything. 

5. Let your mind wander

Yes, I said it. This is probably the opposite of what you heard. Now, I'm not saying to actively think and run with it. What I mean is that it's okay for weird and wonderful thoughts to occur. If they do (and they will), acknowledge your thought, set it aside (not literally), and with open arms, let the next thought come to mind if it so chooses to. Repeat this process it. Accept it and move on.

6. Bring you focus back

When you acknowledge that you are thinking, set that thought aside by bringing your focus back to your breath, mantra, etc that we discussed in tip 4.  

Step 5 and 6 will occur in cycles. With practice, you will have more focus and concentration and less thoughts


Don't give up! Continuing your practice even when it seems impossible is when the magic happens. 

Be present and accepting. Go with the flow. Most importantly, enjoy the process. 

Ang


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...