Pages

Monday 15 May 2017

Tips That I Use To Shop Less (A Minimalist's Guide)

A couple of days ago, a wrote an article on how I keep my home minimal. One of those tips was to shop less. I wanted to talk more about this so I decided to give it an article of its own.

Today's society has such a strong emphasis on materialism. Not only are we exposed to advertisements every single day, society has taught us that we should reward ourselves with "stuff". You work hard, life is short, buy this item.

I don't believe minimalism is attainable if you find yourself in a shop more than once a week. What's the point of cleaning out your home if you're going to replace it with more stuff? That's a waste of time, money, and resources. If you are dabbling around in a minimalism lifestyle, less buying is crucial.

I know first hand how difficult it can be to not shop. I never thought of myself as materialistic but looking back on it, I probably had a bit of problem with shopping. But I have to say that I have made some changes this past year and reducing the amount of time I spend shopping has changed my life in so many ways. It has given me more time to engage in productive activities (like writing a blog). It has given me more money to invest in other things such as travelling, which is fantastic! But above all that, it has given me a new freedom. I no longer feel tied to this idea of consumerism. I have been able to live minimally which has been a liberating experience.

But it hasn't come without any struggles. I have had a few slip ups. I don't think of them as failures, though. I learned a lot about myself and my need to shop through these failures. I am going to share what has worked for me with you.

1. Think Of How Much Time You Spend Shopping

You probably live a busy life. Maybe you're a parent or a full-time student or worker. Or maybe you do all of those things and more! What do you do in your time off? I would often spend my days off shopping. When I got home, I would be disappointed that I never spent my day off doing something more productive. Now the best part of the day is over and I had to work in the next morning. Boo.

Do you have books you want to read? Documentaries you want to catch up on? A painting you haven't finished yet? These things are attainable depending on how you manage your time. Next time you're getting ready to go shop, ask yourself what's more important. Self-improvement and quality fun time or spending 3 or 4 hours (if not more) shopping.

Making this connection has seriously reduced the amount of time I spend in the stores. I find myself blogging and drawing much more than what I use to.

2. Find Your Passion

The previous tip will be difficult for those you haven't discovered a passion yet. If you haven't found one yet, keep trying! Think back to a time in your life when you had no responsibilities. Was there something you would do? Something you could do for hours that seemed to make time disappear? Do more research, join different groups you think you might like. Try something new. The worse that can happen is you won't like it and you will move on something else.

Finding a passion will give your life so much meaning and fulfillment. You will no longer feel the need to look for external stimulation (shopping) when you have downtime.

3. Beware Of The Media

I have a guilty pleasure. I love Korean Pop (Kpop) music. I could easily spend hours watching Kpop music videos. I never thought for a second that this could affect how much time I spend shopping. But it did. You see, when we are exposed to media, we are exposed to beautiful men and women who are prompting the latest fashion trends. They are style icons after all. When I saw Kpop idols wearing certain clothes or using certain beauty product, I would plan to go and buy these items on my next day off.

Now, I don't think it's fair to say that media "caused" my shopping problem. I don't believe I was brainwashed and I do have self-control. But media was a trigger for me and it definitely increased my desire you want to shop and buy more things. Go a week with minimal exposure to the media whether that's TV, YouTube, Instagram, etc. and see if that lessens your desire to shop. You might be surprised.

4. Shop At Stores That Offer Full Refunds

I have made mistakes along the way and found myself buying more stuff than what I needed. The good news is that when I came home, I felt guilty for buying and I ended up returning a lot of what I had bought. You may have given into a temptation at the mall but it is much easier to rationalize at home. Ensure that you can return what you buy.

I'm not saying that shopping is evil. I still enjoy it on occasion. Although I'm not perfect (nor will I ever be), I have become a much more mindful shopper. I feel happier and freer and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Sincerely,
Ang





No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...